PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Up to date JAA ATPL learning objectives?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2001, 21:50
Paul Hickley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most recent JAA Learning Objectives (LOs) are Oct 99. You can cross check them on the CAA's website, which is http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/fcl/fcl...asp?category=4

The LOs have not changed since Oct 99 but the questions have. Let me explain why. Let me also make it 100% clear that what follows is Paul Hickley's personal view and is not to be taken as representing Oxford Aviation Training.

The JAA did not issue LOs, feeling that they should be free to ask whatever they liked. The European Association of Professional Pilot Schools (EAPPS) put pressure to establish a syllabus. Eventually, the JAA reluctantly agreed, but did not actually produce anything. So EAPPS produced their own draft which they submitted to the JAA. The JAA just rubber-stamped it virtually without changing anything and published it as the 99 LOs.

It is my opinion that the JAA only did it to get EAPPS off their back. They still continue to ask what they like and they see no reason to amend the LOs because they never stick to them anyway. Some of their questions are so outrageous that they need not merely explaining, but exposing. That is why I published the answer to the thread "General Nav Feedback Question" - still in the archives - last entry 25 Aug 01. I felt that the full answer was completely unreasonable at ATPL level and the simplified answer was too much of a simplification - even though that was quite difficult enough. Other examples are the classification of RF frequency bands into S,C and X bands - what? These are old NATO terms which were superseded in the late 60s. Not only have they never been civil terminology, they're wrong anyway - the new (1970!)military bands are called A,B, C, D, etc. I could go on.......

For these reasons, I believe the LOs to be pretty near useless - or at least, only to be used to give the most general of guidance, much of which will differ in detail. The ONLY way to find out what's likely to be in the paper is to find out what they're actually asking - ie, the use of feedback.

You shouldn't use feedback to learn all the answers off by heart, but it is helpful to know the type of questions, the areas of interest, and the required level of depth.

Just my view, of course. Others may disagree.

Paul