PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and Volcanic Ash?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2010, 12:06
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Odd thing is last week or so when we had the "shut down" the weather was warm the skies were clear with no visible ash/dust in the air, yet the cars where I live all had deposits on them and it aint from the sparrows... So just because its not seen does not mean its not there
Funny that after polishing the dark blue car the other week, where I live there were no deposits, sparrows or otherwise. However in the period between the ash blankets across the country and another deeper polish of the car, I get this layer of pollen....as happens during every year.

What is strange here is that when we are supposed to be enveloped in volcanic ash deposits, there are no deposits of any description on my car, yet when the blanket gets blown away, the pollen reappears

Should we stop flying during the spring/summer months? I for one have seen no data on the damage that pollen does to a turbine engine. Do the turbine blades get coated with a honey like substance?
Quick NATS, close the airspace until pollen levels reach a Met Office computer modelled safe level