PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2010, 11:56
Sharmanat0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 Medical Advice - Visual Standards

Hi folks, this is my first post and I am just looking for any advice from those that know more

Im 26 and looking into flight school, have not yet decided what route to take, but one aspect that is frying my head are the Visual Standards for the Class 1 Medical certification.

They say that its ok if your refractive error does not exceed +5 or -6 dioptres and that any astigmatism must not exceed 2 dioptres.

I have had my eyes checked recently and they are as below

SPH CYL AXIS
Reye (-3.75) (-1.8) (2)
Leye (-3.75) (-1) (9)

As I understand it, my eyesight is acceptable to obtain a class 1 Medical. (I took the standards to my optician)

I am worried that because my astigmatism in my right eye is very close to 2 dioptres that in a few years I may fail the medical, but then I found out that Class 1 renewals do not have any limits on refractive error or astigmatism after the initial medical has been obtained (Is this definately correct?)

My dilemma is that I have been looking at getting LASIK Wavefront surgery for quite a while and really want to get it done, not just for flying but for every other reason that people who needs glasses have. It says in the standards that I can obtain a medical as long as I wait 3 months after the surgery and obtain all the relavant post-op checks.

But Im worried as a tiny % of surgeries can go wrong (0.1%) and I dont want to ruin any chance I may have of becoming a pilot... I really want to get this surgery done and im thinking two things:-

- I dont know if it would be better to go and obtain the medical now, with my eyes as they are, and after that do the surgery (voiding the medical) as then I would only be required to renew? Sounds like it might be safer cause I have the initial medical at least

- or should I just get the surgery and prey for the best?

I have been deliberating about this for weeks as I had my eye surgery consultation and I just need to decide...

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated

Thanks very much