PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2010, 10:38
Ranger1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlow/Sunfish

No airline will risk aircraft or passengers or make false statements following inspections. The industry has wide experience of operating around areas of ash. You forget if the airline executives are found to have taken unnecessary risks with either investors money or public safety they will individually be liable to prosecution in the UK at least.

It really is inflammatory comment to suggest the airlines are flying when it is not safe to do so. It is possible the airlines may suffer from long term costs due premature engine ware but to date as far as I am aware there has not been a single case in my own airline of an ash encounter despite some of the assertions on this web site. However, time will tell. I am also aware that our own inspections have come to much the same conclusion as BA's.

Why is it some seem to need to find a conspiracy to risk public safety? Do you hear the airlines squealing about the latest airspace closures? No because they are sensible and based on the best data we have, not a blanket over reaction. It is possible this volcano will close UK and European airspace again and as long as the guidelines in place now are applied I doubt very much you will hear the airlines arguing as the closure will be based on a sensible policy!