PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bean Counting and the Art of Aircraft Maintenance
Old 20th Jul 2002, 20:28
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tell it like it is and if that does not work tell someone else.

To: Flare Dammit

Lu makes some interesting suggestions, starting with his letter-writing campaign. But you can send all the letters you want, and it's very likely that they'll simply be ignored. Oh, and you can tell somebody "if an aircraft crashes, the responsibility will be yours!" all you want, but that does not make it so. It is very hard to pin the blame for anything on any one specific person nowadays. And individuals really don't care if their agency takes the heat.
I totally agree. That is why I added the comment about seeing what they say. In my case I used some very strong language to include that the DGCA did not do a complete job in the certification and the airframe manufacturer did not perform a specific test. With this incomplete certification process and the lack of adequate testing the FAA rubber-stamped the DGCA certification with out doing any detailed analysis of the design. The strongest words were my telling the FAA I was absolving myself of any responsibility in the event of a crash and a subsequent lawsuit. In said lawsuit these causal problems would come up and the improper certification process would also come to light and the finger would point not only to the DGCA but the FAA as well. As I indicated the FAA ultimately took action but the design was never changed and if aircraft are coming off the production line and the design is not changed then the airframe manufacturer is still no performing the test. Oh yes, I also sent copies of the letters to the NTSB. They were very appreciative but they told me they could do nothing, that is, until an aircraft crashed due to the design deficiencies.