PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 how to save this landing
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2010, 01:29
IFLY_INDIGO
Beau_Peep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chris & other fellows,

The “Pitch” call suggests that, having started the flare late, you over-flared. In that case, it was not the CONTROLS that were sluggish, but the wing itself, which was unable to generate enough lift to arrest the ROD in the short time you seem to have given it.

I didn't start the flare late. due to sudden drop at 50ft, the center point of this thread, any flare would be called late eventually.

I agree a little bit of derotation could have reduced the impact.

When I said controls were sluggish, I meant the control input didn't give me required increase in the lift.

It was a stabilised approach with steady 8 kts tailwind upto 50ft.

I don't agree with the suggestion Moving thrust lever out of CLB detent a bit in this case. first it is too much of addition of thrust. And moving the levers through the detents, while adding thrust or reducing thrust, has its own precious time element. Detent resists the movement. As I told you all in the very beginning, reaction time was very little, due to sudden sink. So I think it would not have saved this landing.

I totally agree the use of manual thrust is a far better option then relying on ATHR. But such decision is to be taken well before stabilisation altitude, not at 50ft ! I started this thread not to debate manual thrust VS ATHR. My intention was to discuss the possibilities of 'how to save this landing' IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION.