PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2010, 23:31
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish

Firstly thanks for giving us your qualifications in making a statement.

I cannot speak for SabenaBoy but would imagine his posting referred to the present situation?

Regarding the DC8 incident this was at NIGHT and as such the crew were unaware of what they had flown into or the density of what they had flown into. This incident was a long time ago.

There was a period of 65 flying hours before damage was found and the initial inspections just after the incident showed NO damage.

This incident is not a good example because of the uncertainties. We were talking about flight in very low ash concentrations ie the new guidline levels.

There is NOTHING in this report to state that the flight was in conditions which met the new guidline levels but levels which were far higher.

In that context I cannot see how you are using this old example in any way as proof of your arguement that flights made to the new density levels will lead to massive increases in maintenance costs.

Most of us are already aware that dense ash with high engine temperatures can cause engine damage.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 6th May 2010 at 23:49.