PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 6th May 2010, 22:58
demomonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You seasoned observers with a memory will recall how we have previously been told at various times that this strike has been about;
  1. Imposition
  2. New Fleet
  3. 'Just to send WW a message'
  4. To break BASSA
  5. Re-instatement of ST
Looks like we can now add to the list 'Re-instatement of Duncan Holley'.

But that is to overlook the fact that Mr Holley (like us all) is simply a bit player. Whether he stays, becomes a UNITE official or applies to be the next Pope is absolutely immaterial. None of us including Duncan Holley or Willie Walsh are indispensable. The key is the long-term success of BA as that is what will benefit us all the most.

Mr Holley forgot the cardinal rule that "if you're going to swim with sharks, don't bleed". He thought he was above the law and could quite happily create chaos for tens of thousands of passengers and jeopardise the careers of all his colleagues with free abandon. What he presided over has gone way beyond an employees legal right to withdraw labour, his leadership made the fight vindictive, divisive and personal but without an objective (except the implicit removal of WW by the Board).

With or without Duncan Holley, BA will survive. He has gone and that's it. Whilst I feel sorry that one of my colleagues has lost a career he probably deeply loved I cannot forgive him for his strategic mishandling and poor judgement throughout this debacle. Has anything his leadership attempted to achieve in the last 18 months actually improved the situation for his rank and file members? No. Many have lost pay, ST and are now likely to have to concede T&Cs worse than those originally tabled. I therefore can only conclude that BASSA members will be better off without this man as their head.

Over on other forums there maybe tears shed by and for Mr Holley, but in a few weeks time he will be yesterday's man. What is important however is that rank and file members get the union support they deserve. Success is not measured in rhetoric, bravado or intimidation it is measured in pay cheques and the atmosphere at work.

So please don't ask me to contribute to his leaving present. They'll be no mourning in this corner for a man who achieved nothing beneficial.

Last edited by demomonkey; 6th May 2010 at 23:09.