PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 6th May 2010, 21:04
si jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

There are a lot of Pilots I work with here in the UK that are baffled with what is so bad about life in Dubai and with Emirates. Here in the UK, we don't know if we are going to have a job next week or next month, flying old battered aircraft and living in country that's gone to the dogs. Crime is sky high and that's only matched by the Taxation. We don't even get a cup of tea on board, and no pay rise for years, and the airline hanging on by a thread every time the oil price goes up or there's a volcano erupting.

I'm not for one second saying that the Emirates Pilots are complaining for just for the sake if it. There must be some positives about Emirates compared to life working for a Lo-co here in the UK. I am intrigued by the high number is EK pilots who are not happy. Why?

What we see here in the UK regarding EK is:

1. You fly brand new Boeing/Airbus with an ever expanding fleet
2. You fly all around the globe (some good places and some bad)
3. I imagine the food on board and the hotels are a reasonable standard,
along with allowances etc.
4. You have Job security.
5. Tax free salary ?
6 Accomodation paid for or an allowance towards your own place.
7. Private education for the kids
8. Decent weather all year round but extremely hot during the summer
9. Staff travel and family travel benefits .
10. Medical

I don't have any of these things. I know that all that glitters is not gold, and I am not saying that EK is the place to be either. I've pointed out a few things that may or may not be the case with EK, but could someone please explain to guys outside the UAE and EK, why life at say Ryanair or contracting somewhere else in the world, would be so much better than EK. Please guys, I just want a fair response to my thread. I am just asking what genuinely makes it all so bad, that so many of you want to leave.

Thank you for taking the time respond.

SJet