PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up Display Pilots - Question
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2010, 20:25
RalphTheMouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I agree with what you're saying.

Critical Angle of Attack is associated with the wing. You will have no argument from me.

But keep in mind, the Critical Angle of Attack can be referenced to the wing or the fuse centerline. It doesn't really matter as long as your stick shaker/stall warning... (whatever), starts to tell you, "Hey moron, stop pitching up and add some power!"

Most commercial aircraft use the fuse centerline as the reference for AOA, As noted in the Boeing pdf. Due to exactly what you stated, wing washout.

But just so long as we agree that aircraft AOA is defined as the angle made between Pitch and the FPV, we're all happy (except for the Microsoft idiot I been arguing with... I know, I shouldn't even waste my time.. don't ask).

You could probably design an aircraft which would fly around with an aircraft AoA of 90 degrees whilst the wing AoA remained within the safe and usable limits that it is intended to. I grant you it would look rather odd though!
Reverse what you just said, and you have a Helicopter or Osprey..

And I agree, they do look rather odd. A million parts all flying in formation? No thanks!

(just kidding helo drivers)
:-)

(by the way, how many posts do you need to start posting links?)

Thanks again for your help in posting the links Chesty.