PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zambia/Cape Verde
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2010, 15:03
cldrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing I remember the most from Sal, was the beautiful lush grounds of the FBO and then the drive through a lunar landscape to the hotel on a point sticking out into the sea. Great surfing, some good restaurants on the newer part of the boardwalk and some fun Calypso style little bars with live music and cheap drinks. We use it as a fuelstop going down South and have only overnighted twice. I do remember having to taxi to the main terminal for fuel and if you do stay awhile button up the plane thoroughly as the dust will get into anything. We even taped up the inlets when we parked there and the dust still got in, we found red dust weeks later in all kinds of places. There is no vegetation on the island and the tradewinds have free reign. Do they still use Portuguese currency there?

Don't get suckered into the handling agent paying for your accomodation though, the markup runs into the 100's of percent.

The FBO is well organised and we have never had a major issue there, the immigration policy is a bit weird when you have to hang around for the sole immigration official to come around from the main terminal to stamp your passport, if your arrival coincides with a scheduled carrier arrival, you will have to sit and wait for quite a while. Saw some guys there last time struggling getting their internal honeybucket serviced, ours is external so no issue. As in most of Africa I would not fill up the freshwater tanks there, if you run out buy bottled water as a matter of precaution.

Last edited by cldrvr; 6th May 2010 at 15:23. Reason: added detail