PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding - airbrakes in final turn
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2010, 13:07
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IFMU
Here in the states a higher, steeper approach is the norm. We partially open spoilers/divebrakes on downwind and leave them open (as required) until we stop. Ideally I'd like to get them open about 1/3 then not have to make any further adjustments. However, if I do need to adjust, I am about in the middle of my performance curve and can steepen or flatten out my glide. Any land short accidents I've seen here were not a result of using spoilers before finals, they were a result of being out of gliding range of the field but trying to stretch it anyway.

If I ever get to the other side of the pond it would be interesting to see what they teach there. It seems foreign to me.

-- IFMU
The initial part of your circuit will be a bit higher and steeper, but not the last bit. Also you are burning away height when there is still the possibility of hitting sink (possibly major sink) in the circuit. The UK circuit will be shallower until the point at which airbrakes come out, then steeper. There is also a diagonal leg so the landing site is always in view, which I gather is not necessarily done in the US. A friends description of flying at a US glider site left my blood running cold - he saw a lot of landings with very little airbrake and quite a lot of PIOing.