PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controlled airspace handover
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2010, 08:29
OA32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should Jersey not have handed him over to a air traffic control unit rather than London Information since he had made no request to leave controlled airspace
Firstly, i've had many pilots go to another frequency other than the one suggested because it suits them better, what frequency is suggested entirely depends on what level and route the pilot has filed. Secondly, just because the pilot has filed an IFR plan does not mean that they will automatically be kept within CAS regardless of the route/level they have filed. It is the pilots responsibility to be aware of what route he has filed and the service he is likely to receive as a result. The base of airway N866 which runs from SKERY-BHD and onwards is FL85, so normally you have to be FL100 unless London are willing to accept you @ FL90. As has already been mentioned the routing and level he was using at the time would allow me to give you a better answer.

Fuji Abound and IO540

The airway is now called Q41 and the base of it is FL35 which can be lost due to pressure changes.

Also the phrase sometimes used is

G-ABCD leaving controlled airspace radar service terminated, type of service (if any) offered, report leaving the frequency.

I would expect that the 'Information' in London Information is a big enough clue that a control service isn't being given especially for a pilot who has an IR.....