PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ethiopian airlines aircraft down near Beirut
Old 6th May 2010, 08:27
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The accident report makes chilling reading for any professional pilot who could envisage the situation inside the cockpit. As a slight aside, I am not quite certain how a 'broken' 737 with an inbuilt tendency to bank right was not sent straight back to the factory and exchanged for one that worked. Nonetheless, that was merely a factor in this tragic accident.

It is glaringly obvious that this Captain should never had held a command in any airline. The frightening combination of being over-bearing and unwilling to embrace SOPs is a recipe for disaster - and surprisingly enough that is what happened. This is the absolute worst of third world aviation on display and there can be no excuses. You have an unfit aircraft that would never be accepted in the west coupled to crew who take off without a clearance (an offence that would result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal in any western airline). Combine this with utter professional incompetence from both pilots, particularly the captain and there is only one result. In fairness to the FO, it seems apparent he was trying to recover the situation at the end.

As an aside, when I first started flying and was a very junior FO on turboprops, I had to take control in a go-around from a similar-sounding captain. I found the experience absolutely terrifying at the time and it took me completely by surprise. We came very near to a crash and the captain, who is now retired, was someone who should never have been given a command at any time due to an inate lack of ability and an unwillingness to embrace SOPs. All of us are capable of being disoriented, and probably most of us have had it at one stage or other. What we must have is a cockpit atmosphere whereby the FO can pipe up to warn us of imminent disaster. That one issue is something that repeatedly turns out to be a factor in the overwhelming majority of non-western accidents. Until that cultural issue is addressed correctly, there will continue to be a huge difference in safety records between the west and the rest.