PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cracked the s**** with Sydney... and considering Perth
Old 6th May 2010, 06:35
AirJing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Vent

I need to have a rant to get this out of my system...

I'm really pissed off with flying in Sydney. I'm on my third Sydney school and third aircraft type.

My first school, I did 1.5 weeks with them; had to return overseas to work. When I came back about a year later, they had gone bankrupt. Had another break.

Next I went to Aerospace Aviation and a new aircraft type. Did about 1.5 weeks with them last year; went well although I still got plenty of cancelled flights due to weather even though I was only doing circuits and training area. Turned up again in Feb, did a Tuesday flight with them, a Friday flight with them, turned up at 8am on Saturday for my next flight to find a notice on the front door saying they had gone into liquidation overnight. Had to call up my bank to cancel the advance I'd put on account with them. Bye bye second school.

School no. 3 (not necessary to say which one, but there's only two schools left at YSBK now anyway; all the others have gone bankrupt) and another aircraft type. I'm quite happy with the school, but I'm still getting a lot of weather cancellations. If this is over-conservativism or genuinely non-VFR weather, I don't have the experience to say. FYI a few weeks after I joined this new school, Proflight (Proflyte?) down the road also went bust. Lucky I didn't go with them after Aerospace went bust or I'd now be on my fourth school.

So overall, IMHO, learning to fly in Sydney is a waste of time. And if you are not getting paid because you have taken time off work to train, it's a waste of money as well.

I've decided to cut my losses since I've already been away from work for a month longer than I should have been. I'll discontinue flying in Sydney for good (even once I get my PPL I still reckon you would be better off driving if you want to get anywhere if you are leaving from Sydney). I'll complete my PPL next trip and it is almost certainly going to be in Perth. Rant over....