PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier transition to and from hover
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 20:01
noprobs

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To get back to the original question, it is important not to try to descend too slowly when near the ground. One major problem is hot air reingestion, which can lead to an engine surge. There is also some handling instability as all that thrust (which is a must) comes back up and hits the airframe. As the mainwheel touches down and starts to upset the weight/thrust balance, you then need to get rid of the thrust quickly, which jet engine fuel control systems generally don't cope with too well. The Pegasus therefore, even with the current twin, dual-channel digital system, needs a rapid-acting mechanical fuel flow relief system to make it happen.

IMD is a whole other area that has been discussed at length on this forum, but JF's diagram does help to simplify the root cause. The resultant roll is the real killer. If by skill or luck you avoid it, the outcome may be acceptable. I have seen Harriers doing inadvertent 360 degree (or in one case 450 degree) yawing turns during a decell and then land safely. Incidentally, IMD can also occur in pitch, as other jet pilots have found out to their cost, specifically with over-enthusiastic take-offs. As to JF's backwards formation lead, as a Harrier pilot, I found it a little less amazing than his continuous yawing flight along the line of the runway. One thing to beware of in rearward flight is the reversed action of the tailplane (elevator). While the reaction controls continue to work in the natural sense, a high reversing speed can lead to the canard-like tailplane acting such that rearward control column movement (relative to the pilot) produces a nose-down pitching moment.

Rudder pedal shakers and yaw stabs do help to keep you out of trouble, but few mechanical devices are trouble-free. When yaw stabs were still a novelty, I well remember taking off from a narrow strip that had very tall jungle close to each side of it. Shortly after lift-off, the system decided that it needed to demand maximum yaw, giving me a very impressive view of the trees before I booted the rudder back the other way!

But at least life in that cramped cockpit was never boring.