PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 how to save this landing
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 18:16
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi IFLY_INDOGO,

My two pennies worth:

.. with 8 kts tailwind. things were fine upto 50ft, when suddenly wind died to zero. - If wind suddenly died to zero, air speed should have increased - Good.

airplane started dropping, - result of reducing ground speed and maintaining original ROD - Bad.

I pull the stick little up to increase the lift but controls were sluggish and didn't respond. - with increased airspeed, controls should have behaved normally - possibly an illusion due concentrating on touch down point -need to look further down the runway.

just a second before touchdown airplane pitched up (may be the late response) and I cut the throttle. - initiation of the flare was too late with high ROD.

I had a 1.72g landing. - Ouch.

What could be ideal technique to save or rather reduce the 'damage' on this landing? - With a tail wind and higher ROD - be prepared to flare a bit earlier and look further down runway to judge flare attitude change.

If you get into a similar situation again - do a "TOGA 10". Set TOGA power and rotate to 10 degs pitch up. This will prevent a tail strike on A320 / 319. After touch down, and when safely climbing away - do the normal "Go Around Flaps" rotating towards SRS / 15 degs.