PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scimitar Crash nr Ben Vorlich 10 Nov 1959
Old 5th May 2010, 16:43
Zulu09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for being so late to this thread.

Returning to the original subject, I knew Nigel G-R in 1961-62 at Lee when he was Flag Leutenant to FOAH and used to drive the Admiral's barge around, a four engined version of the Dove (Devon?).

Porohman's mention of the Buckler 90 almost certainly referred to Nigel. When I knew him he owned a Lotus 11 sports racing car which he used to compete in club races with me as his mechanic. Although outclassed by the later Lolas he usually gave a good account of himself.but this finally ended at Goodwood when he broke a stub axle going into Madgewick and did a 180 into the boondocks.

I concur with the previous opinions, he was a gentleman and a smashing chap to boot.

We sent the bits to the lab at RNARY Fleetlands for analysis and they reported back that it was a fatigue failure, so that spelled the end of the Lotus.

Nigel then bought a 1952 Formula 2 Alta from a brewery owner who lived about 10 miles north of Fareham. Marvellous piece of machinery; rubber suspension that pre-dated the mini by ten years, sit-up-and-beg leather armchair and a dope engined four cylinder two litre engine machined out of a solid block of aluminium. My lasting impression is that the owner (very civil, drew us a pint apiece from his own cellars) introduced Nigel to his wife as "Lt Rear-Grease"!!! Collapse of stout party!

We towed the Alta back to Lee behind my 105E Anglia. On starting off I checked the rear view mirror to see Nigel waving furiously, I of course stopped to see what was wrong, so did Nigel as he ran into the back of my car. No brakes.

I could ramble on but there seems to be no point, I was so sad to read of his death. Strange that someone who lived life to the full should have met such a mundane end. There again, it's well known that apple trees are more dangerous than Scimitars.