PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 how to save this landing
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 16:40
b737NGyyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b737NGyyc, the autothrust (that would normally be ON even for manual landing on a Bus) should have taken care of that. I assume the problem was that the thrust levers were closed just as the autothrust reacted.
As you can see from my pseudonym I don't fly the Airbus and never have but my experience with autothrust (throttles) is that they are rarely responsive enough to react to a situation such as this.

Having no experience on the Airbus I can only presume that they can be manually overridden if required by pushing the thrust levers forward. If the autothrust on the Airbus is responsive enough to handle this situation then that is great but from my experience pulling back and expecting the automation to save the landing is too much of a leap of faith for this stick and rudder guy.

All the bells and whistles are great but in some situations, such as this one, manual intervention is the way to go IMHO. More and more I see it on the line that there is too much reliance on the automation and more and more erosion of basic piloting skills.