PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autos and Rotor Stall
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 15:10
PIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
es but one day it could save your life. Imagine having to "stretch" an auto to reach a safe landing site (because of trees or rough terrain etc). There you are, engine has failed, set up in the auto and you know you will not reach the clear area. What do you do? keep it in the green and fall short, smashing to pieces in the trees or raise the lever a little, increase to max airspeed, loose rrpm to below the min, then when clear recover to minimum by flaring like a b@2tard? I suppose the more you practice, the more you will know the absolute limitations?.
Chopjock

You seem to be advocating that we intentionally practice decaying RRPM below the power off minimum (the red line) to find the "absolute limitations". You might be playing devil's advocate, or you could be a half-wit, I'm not sure which. The reason the red line is there is that someone with access to a lot more data has already done something similar under controlled circumstances and decided that that is where the line should be drawn. Beyond the line is only more uncertainty (risk), not less.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/evil.gif