PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I-Pad - almost useless as an EFB
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 14:37
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I0540 - yes I would agree so far as Gcap is concerned although I do know a little more about them than we have discussed here.

and yes, since it would seem the iPad does not use either of the two available screen technologies that reduce reflection I would be surprised if the iPad was any better, or any worse, than the average notepad or laptop - in short not very good. Whilse some of the add on screen filters improve matters marginally in my experience the improvement is hardly worth the effort. It is interesting that Bose thinks otherwise based on his experience of actually using an iPad in the cockpit so perhaps they have managed to tweak the existing technology a little - I understand the screens are reasonably bright and use a higher than average resolution both of which might help just a very little.

The Garmin and Avidyne panel screens are really superb. I think the Garmin is marginally better but I bet some one will be along to tell me both companies use the same panel! I wonder. Interestingly in the marine wrold Raymarine have produced some very good sun light readable products for quite a while that are very well priced. Again they are not portable but it does demonstrate the basic panel can be built into to this type of product without a significant increase in the unit cost.