PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I-Pad - almost useless as an EFB
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 13:16
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought GCAP were running a difficult business model, because with their limited geographical coverage they are really addressing just the IMC Rated population, which is IMHO maximum 1k-2k IFR-active pilots, and it is so easy for these to download the free plates, or (as many do) get Jepp plates from a commercial pilot friend.

But even if GCAP did say all of Europe, they would still be facing a problem:

- all seriously commercially operating pilots get worldwide Jeppview at work, which is the de facto world standard, and which is purchased without a question

- of the private pilots who fly IFR internationally, many have commercial pilot friends who give them Jepp plates

- some private pilots are willing/able to pay for Jeppview; these tend to buy what they actually need, and borrow plates, or download the free national plates for the less common trips

This leaves just private pilots not willing/able to pay for Jeppview, but who don't like the national plates.

The customer base is not going to be great... I cannot believe they would have as much as 1k customers, and that's assuming they covered all of Europe.

I've been reading some stuff on American pilot forums, where they have been testing the Ipad. The general tone is that it is OK if you can eliminate reflections, by orientating the LCD. This is the same issue as any shiny laptop.