PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cracked the s**** with Sydney... and considering Perth
Old 5th May 2010, 10:30
AirJing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr Cracked the s**** with Sydney... and considering Perth

I'm doing my PPL in Sydney and am doing navs....

But I've reached the conclusion, after having 6 of my last 8 navs cancelled due to weather that if you actually need to get somewhere out of Sydney, you need to either fly IFR or get in a car. The Blue Mountains/ Gt Dividing Range mean that it's either cloudy in Sydney, low viz in Sydney or cloudy over the mountains or thunderstorms and rain.

I work overseas, and I just don't have time to hang around waiting for weather with the majority of my navs cancelled. I know you can get weather cancellations anywhere, but the 70-80% cancellation rate in Sydney is getting a bit silly.

So I'm considering going to Perth where the weather is better and more predictable and the Darling Escarpment is at least 1000 feet lower than the terrain around Sydney. I've already found a school with the same a/c type that I'm flying now.

How's the flying in Perth out of Jandakot? Are there any weather problems in Perth I don't know about?

And can some Perth based VFR pilots comment about how often you cancel your flights?