PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Henry review and aviation
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 08:41
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
It is a few years since I've seen the average tax percentage published and I suspect it is a figure no Government wants you to know.

A spread sheet estimate is easy enough to compile if you have your PAYG tax take; FBT asnd CGT; GST on virtually everything; Superannuation input tax (15% - now talk of increasing); the excise/tax rate on fuel, smokes and booze; Airport taxes; Bank debit taxes; State stamp duty on property purchases, vehicle registration, insurance policies etc; import duties on a range of commodities including clothing; State taxes including Payroll Tax; Local Government charges etc - the list is never ending.

Other countries may have higher rates of direct tax on earnings or higher GST/VAT, but do they have the number of hidden taxes Australia has?

And more importantly, does Australia get fair value for the taxes it pays? Looking at the home insulation program, school halls program, the National Fibre Optic network and particularly the state of our highways, health and medical services and education system, and the bureaucratic bullsh!t from far too many Government agencies that we must live with every day of our lives, I personally don't think so!