PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 07:56
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingair

Air Canada was not bankrupt, they were in bankruptcy protection. Big difference between the two.
You will have to explain that one to me. Surely one leads to the other?
The point I have made in the past is that they are still allowed to compete whilst under this protection. Bit of an artificial market really when other carriers do not have this luxury or have run their business so they don't need it.

In fact, the Air Canada act prevents Air Canada from competing fairly in the domestic market.
Fairpoint...and my colleagues did explain this to me (foreigner that I am).

However Air Canada does control a LOT of the domestic market. If I am flying out of Toronto YYZ on a domestic DIRECT flight who are my choices...I have 2( and I include Jazz under the Air Canada banner...I know it is a bit more complicated than that). Not really a lot of competition or choice there.
From my perspective all this act seems to do is make Air Canada fly to places they don't want to. How it affects their competitive edge in a domestic market (and I am talking Canada) is not clear.

BTW those awards are a bit misleading. They are all "North America" not world based....and given the stick that all the American carriers seem to get regarding their service it is not surprising that Air Canada would get top marks for "best flight attendants in North America".
It is not really part of the debate but unfortunately if we bring service into this discussion Emirates would win hands down.

WXgeek
I'd rather foster a strong Canadian industry with good paying Canadian jobs than see these jobs exported into the middle east
Then lets hope Air Canada leaves Porter airlines to continue doing their thing because if they tried to knock Porter out of the market you lose Canadian jobs, planes and base.

Twas interesting to see Emirates swoop when Skyservice went under with the timing of their roadshows. Does anyone know how successful they were?