PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation Exam
Thread: Navigation Exam
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2010, 00:28
Ryan5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taught to use permanent Lumocolour over head projector pens
This is exactly what I use also. You can be sure of fine accurate lines which will not smudge. Very easy to clean away without a trace; I keep an old cloth and a bottle of nail varnish remover in the flight bag at all times - never fails to raise a few eyebrows as well

Also, another tip I picked up would be to laminate a Plog sheet and using the above method can be used over and over and over again - who says pilots don't care about the trees (money?). Down side is you don't get to keep a copy of the flight for later scrutiny days/weeks/months later but I keep a spreadsheet copy of my logbook and plogs anyway.

To the OP - my club did not allow any calculators/mobiles into the exam but to be honest don't focus too much on this end. Anytime you may require a calculator the WW will suffice and at least 2 of the answers can generally be ruled out after a quick gross error check. You will be required to convert various units i.e. US Gal - Imp, Meters to Feet etc etc, so unless you remember 20 different rules of thumb the WW is by far your best friend!
Another piece of advise I would offer is although time is pressing please take your time at the start for drawing lines. One question I got wrong was in relation to identifying a local landmark at a certain coordinate, if you exam is anything like mine there may well be 4 features within millimeters of each other on the chart and each one is a possible answer A, B, C, D.

Try not to worry too much - if you have done a good bit of practical nav you should by now be well used to planning flights and thus well prepared for the exam!

Best of luck!!

Ryan