PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helios Crash
Thread: Helios Crash
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 15:11
MU3001A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to lay the most of the blame on a technical design is short sighted. Same goes for Turkish airlines at AMS. To say the technology is more at fault than the humans will cause the medication to be applied in the worng place; treating the symptoms and not the illness.
Here's where I can agree with you and attempt to drag the thread back to the supposed purpose of this particular thread on the Helios accident. Absent clear evidence of criminality that goes well beyond beyond mere incompetence or ineptitude. I don't believe the criminal courts should get involved in assigning blame for an accident by pursuing criminal convictions of flight crew who were just doing their job, however incompetent or inept they proved to be at it. Assigning blame, divvying out compensation to victims and sanctioning those adjudged to have contributed in some way to the outcome ought be the preserve of the civil courts, period.

But here's where I differ with your analysis. Accident investigations should not concern themselves with assigning blame whatsoever. Only in the factual determination of cause/probable cause and contributing factors, be they human failings or technical. The better to prevent the same thing happening again under similar circumstances. Further, I wouldn't claim that design faults were the root cause of either the Helios or Turkish accidents, but they were certainly contributing factors that need to be fixed.