PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 12:05
Edthedruid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cold, wet, miserable 1973 night at a RNZAF base on the mainland of NZ. Cpl Edthedruid is there on his Cpl's Qual course (yes, we did promotion courses AFTER we were promoted). That particular night we were each given two recruits and were tasked to guard Base HQ against intruders. During the evening we were told that somebody had borrowed a Flt Lts uniform and had managed to talk his way in. We were to smarten up our ideas and not let it happen again.

At about 2200, I decided to sneak around the corner and have a smoke, leaving my two recruits to guard the front door of the building. A few minutes later a flustered AC runs round the corner and tells me that someone trying to pass himself off as the Base Commander was demanding access to the building. One recruit had stood in front of this chap's car while the other one went to the window and asked him for his ID card. The driver became quite irate, said he didn't have his card on him and started edging his car forward until it was pushing the young AC standing in front. It was at this point they decided I should be fetched.

I marched up to the car, stuck my head in the window and said" Good evening sir, could I see your ID card please". Then the rant started. Having had enough, I drew myself up to my full five-foot-six, looked this chap who was dressed for gardening , if anything, straight in the eye and said loudly "The effing Base Commander would have more effing sense than to drive around base without his ID card, now eff off!". At that point a F/S GSI strode up, saluted smartly and said "Good evening,sir". Yes, it WAS the Base Commander.

I was told the next day that His Lordship wanted me in Ardmore (think Colchester) asap. What he didn't want to happen to me wasn't worth hearing about. Then our dear old W/O instructor looked him straight in the eye and asked "Well, where IS your ID card sir?" Subject closed. Turned out he was known for coming down hard on anybody found without their ID card. Heard no more about it.