PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helios Crash
Thread: Helios Crash
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 09:55
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of comments:

One reader notes that a horn above 10,000' in a pressurised a/c is a no brainer. I flew for an operator which had the wailer go off at 29.000'. The captain had been in the sim recently where the SFI had introduced a failure of the ground/air sensor. I don't know the full details of the scenario, but suffise to say the takeoff config wailer went off at altitude. I heard the captain in question leapt into the fray and discussed the problem with the F/O saying he had seen this problem in the sim and it was this & that and this was why and this was what to do about it etc. etc. A few moments later the No.1 one rang to ask why all the O2 masks were hanging down.

In past years many of us will have had an indepth recurrent training on communications. Listen and digest etc. etc. How to ask and answer questions. Advocate your position; be clear what is understood. If there is doubt asl again. If the Discovery Channel re-enactment was accurate, and I assume they used CVR tapes, they alledged that the gound engineer asked the captain "the position of the pressuristaion controller." The captain ignored that and kept insisting to know the position of the recirc fan (or altn cooling) C.B's. They alledged the engineer NEVER had his question answered. Makes you wonder. Another captain who was portrayed as allegedly dominering and un-listening and rushing. Does that remind you of KLM Teneriffe or Spanair Madrid; not to mention the B757 crash in Cali? 4 different nationalities and very different cultural backgrounds. Same impatient actions, same result. No doubt there are 100's more examples of where 'less haste more speed' and listen....... would have caused a different outcome.
Trying to lay the most of the blame on a technical design is short sighted. Same goes for Turkish airlines at AMS. To say the technology is more at fault than the humans will cause the medication to be applied in the worng place; treating the symptoms and not the illness.