PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 05:24
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
EI Premier:

This whole situation is getting extremely annoying now.

I was stranded two weeks ago on the continent and it took a lot of time, effort and cash to get back to Ireland.

Now there are a few points I wish to make. Firstly, how do the UK Met Office/London VAAC know of the concentration of the supposed ash plume that's approaching when they have not sent up any test flights etc and ash concentrations couldn't even be verified at the volcano site up to this morning? Only yesterday the London VAAC charts indicated the main risk area some 200 miles to the west of Ireland stretching down the Atlantic - now everything has been altered again.

What is the difference between a flight departing DUB tomorrow morning at 06.59 and 07.00? It's complete rubbish. The ash cloud is not going to suddenly envelope the skies above the airfield within the period of one minute or anything like that. Let's say two aircraft depart at the same time and fly northwards from RWY 34 - the fallacy of the principle of a blanket closure at 07.00 is already evident.

The truth is that the IAA/London VAAC do NOT know the concentration of the ash with accuracy and therefore this is all again precautionary. I'm all for safety by every means and fully respect the need to maintain passenger/crew safety above all else, however this whole situation is going to have to be organised quite a lot better.

If this should continue even on this scale, continuous economic damage will be done. If there is the eventual much spoken of eruption of Katla anytime within the next 18 months - it will drive the at least the European economy into a major recession, much worse than recent times because inflation in relation to land transportation will soar upwards.

The entire situation is also getting extremely concerning right now, not just for those who are directly impacted by the airspace restrictions.
Yes it is extremely annoying. What do you propose? Writing to the volcano?

You can't possibly be serious about requiring an airline to risk its investment in engines and aircraft just to deliver one planeload of passengers? Do you expect the insurers to accept an unknown risk? Are you going to sue if an aircraft goes down with one of your family on board thanks to a dicky Ash forecast?

To put it another way, if it isn't safe for a whole year then you won't be flying for a whole year, period. The precautionary principle has to apply.

And I have a Son who is going to be trying to get to Antigua from Britain on business next week, so don't think I'm not concerned.