PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do gooders strike again
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 01:08
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Canada seems ideal

Obviously, interests on this discussion group will be likely to be pro-helicopter - however, I feel that there is a place for wilderness areas that are not mechanically accessible. I have always assumed that this is the reason that heli-skiing is not permitted in France (and it seems from the article Germany too).

There is a similar restriction in Scotland on Cairngorm. People using the mountain railway are not permitted to leave the top station other than to ski. No skis (or of course insufficient snow) no exit. If you want to explore the cairngorm plateau outside the top station you have to walk up. I understand that the reason for this restriction is to reduce the damage to the delicate life on the plateau. One day, perhaps access will be even further restricted.

As noted by poster "nuthin" Canada has plenty of wilderness that is not threatened by damage from human activity, so if you fancy a bit of heli-skiing that would be a place to consider.

The population density of Canada is 3.41 persons per square kilometre and Switzerland has 55 times that at 188 persons per square kilometre. By comparison England is 395 persons per square kilometre (probably not counting the million or so illegals).

The poulation density of Europe is 70 persons per square kilometre. That is everything west of the Urals - includes part of Russia, all of Ukraine.

All figures from wikipedia.org.