PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:41
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Katla is linked geologically to the volcano that's erupting now. When one goes so does the other. But time is very misleading in geology. Katla is due to erupt but that could be next year or in 500 years. Still a mere blink in geological terms. The behemoth of a volcano under yellowstone national park is overdue by a couple of centuries. Mount St Helens is due to erupt some time soon. But again what is soon in geological terms. 1000 years is just like a pico second in our relative terms

Yes the last 3 katla eruptions have happened soon ish (18 months to 2 years) after the current volcano but we only know of a definite link going back to the 10th century. Before then we're not sure.

I guess what I'm really saying is yes we must prepare but don't expect the bigun next week. It'll happen but first katla has to burn through 700' of glacial ice so we'll know about it. Even if the media isn't bothered to start with.

The Icelandic president's words are quite prophetic though. "this is but a small dress rehersal for the big event." As someone working in the industry I've never been worried about instant catostrophic engine failures but I am worried the general erosion of safety factors as are some egineers in my company. But hey political expediency is probably more important at the moment.

I'm no expert in engine design/ wear and tear/ damage but the politicians/ceo's/ bean counters aren't either and they'll probably have more say than anyone

Last edited by cortilla; 3rd May 2010 at 23:00.