PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:56
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry if you are so overcome with the desire to "Fly fast Jets" never in all my service with the force did I hear the way to describe our fighter/bomber aircraft in such a way, that nothing else counts.

Aircraft were always referred to by the name, and I think that too much top gun has impacted into the recruiting market.

If you are to fly such aircraft, you need to understand the between being a flight leader and a captain. To become a flight leader you will need to not only to be able to fly the aircraft at an above average standard (might suggest you will not attain that standard for several years after graduating from Pearce) but also will have demonstarted that you have the maturity for the position. Not every one becomes a flight lrader, the old saying many being called and but few are chosen.

However a Captain by both the RAAF and the CAA is a pilot in command, leading and managing a crew of up to ten staff, which will enable the aircraft to complete the task assigned.

I know that the air force knows quite early in ones career if you are going to make the top grade, and this is something that all aircrew mustering have to come to understand. They expect you to be an officer and manager first, and whilst the flying part is important and flying is important, you need to understand that General duties branch usually gets all the top rating jobs. It is important that one has the ability to perform secondary duties just as well.

Piloting often is less demanding than some of these secondary duties, and I suspect that many fail selection because of this. The air force does not go to head hunters and say we need a CAS or CO, these men are groomed over many years to fit these slots. There are pilots who cannot make the grade in this area and so they become 40 year old FLLT's really going no where.

The point that I was trying to make is that if you want a military career, then you have to be a manager and leader first and that needs to be part of your presenation.

Additionally the fighter force is really in the complete sense but a small part of the complement of aircraft types.

Not only can some aircraft types help you progress your career, and from reading this forum many many aspire to fighters, there fore is one displayed more latitude in choice, you may not have so many people to compete with.

In conclusion you need to also demonstrate flexability, the person you are when you enter the air force, will be nothing like the person you will become in say three to five years.

Remember well that our chief of defense made his mark in the helicopter area, and you would be hard pressed to find a better leader than Angus.

All the best

Col