PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes/MD 500
Thread: Hughes/MD 500
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:07
fling-wing_1

Location: East of the sun, west of the moon, straight on till morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H500, I know a company that shall remain nameless that balances the disk by modifying tip weights This one's probably a bit off on the tip weights since I've touched up the l/e paint a couple times now. Lateral balance shows to be good though. I'll pull up the MicroVib data and see what the lead/lag looks like. I did touch-up the paint on 2 of the tail rotor blades and used a postal scale to get the tip weights within 2 grams of each other. They only took 3.5 grams to balance at 100% so pretty happy there. I reckon the idea of starting with equal tip weight, main and tail, is spot on.

Thing is, the same set of blades were smooth as glass two years ago before we changed the head. I dunno but a 5P being .579 seems awfully high. Funny thing is how many folks don't know the difference between the 1P and the 5P. I've got the question out to DSS and the factory. We'll see if they come up with anything.

Ah now the EC135, been trying to get my hands on one of those for a few years now. Seems no one wants to let you touch them without prior experience

Last edited by fling-wing_1; 3rd May 2010 at 21:37.