PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ29 Hits Object at Taipei Airport
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2002, 00:34
Prong Wallop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Taiwan authorities (CAA) are reporting that the aircraft was not air-borne when informed of the collision, "the air traffic controllers informed the pilots that it had hit something and it was not advisable to take off."
Once again SIA are muddying the waters and attempting to re-interpret the facts to mitigate what is tantamount to criminal negligence.
Unfortunately 7x7, it is not innacurate reporting. The culture of intimidation is apparently so strong at SIA that this crew continued to operate the flight after an on ground collision. ANY aircraft damage has to be inspected and signed off before continuation of a flight, without exception.
With reference to CaptPPrune I am non-plussed that you apparently advocate ignoring the implications of an on ground collision. I don't think I would like my family flying in an aircraft commanded by a pilot that is required to initiate a FULL control check in flight and who follow that procedure only because there is lack of aircraft debris lying around after a collision.
Perhaps it is time SIA called in the experts to re-appraise the systemic problems exhibited in the airlines culture of intimidation. Safe operation of complex socio-technical systems requires more than a set of inflexible rules and blind coherence.
In my best Victor Meldrew voice I can only say "shock horror this can't be true."