PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:27
Johnny_Chase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Herkman,

Unfortunately for me, aspiring to be an Orion pilot helped none!

I originally turned up at the Defence Force Recruiting Centre wanting to be an ATCO, sat the YOU session testing and saw that pilot was a possibility so went for it. It was difficult trying to persuade my Defence employee interviewer at my Assessment Day that I had the motivation to be a pilot. Most of the aspiring pilots he speaks to I'm sure all want to fly fast jets and because I didn't, I think it may have thrown him! He questioned my motivation for a good 10 minutes, but eventually, thankfully, recommended me.

A week before my impending date at Flight Screening my housemates heard of my desire to become a military pilot and, consequently, a conversation started up about Top Gun. They were astounded to hear I'd never seen it so (fortunately?) I had to sit through the movie that night. I'm sure there are a lot of aspiring Mavericks out there, and that has a lot to do with many's motivation to fly fast jets. But who hasn't seen the Hornets fly in formation on a national day of importance or seen an F111 dump-and-burn and had the hairs stand up on the back of their neck? I, for one certainly have!

Upon doing much research down at PSA before the Board interview I had obviously realised that attaining your wings and flying any military aircraft would be enough for me, but this would not be enough to convince the Board. Having seen the famous photo of the PC-3 Orion flare shot and heard what important work the aircraft had undertaken during the Black Saturday bushfires, I decided to go against the grain and announce my intention to fly it and work in maritime aviation amongst other vital roles. It didn't work out unfortunately, but was offered the Army's Aviation Cadetship. For six months I wanted nothing more than to fly the Blackhawk and for six months I had envisioned myself flying it and what it would take to get there. Unfortunately as the height limit was decreased this has no longer become an option.

Since hearing this somewhat devastating news, I have been waiting out for a Navy offer and for the last few months have wanted nothing more than to be flying Seahawks as part of a RAN ship's flight. I have envisioned myself in the right-hand seat as Captain of the aircraft and doing all those things neccessary on the long road to reaching that goal.

As many aspiring military pilots could attest to, you can't always have control of your destiny, so to speak, and certain roadblocks will be put in the way. But I do believe whatever can motivate you to reach that next step is extremely important and if that is to ultimately fly fast jets, then so be it.