PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like to fly a Jet Fighter?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:27
McDuff

Lead on...

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Give it a go ...

What do you reckon the chances are for a lad 3 months pre-IOT contacting Valley/Leeming with hopes for a Hawk trip/look around the station? Never flown in an RAF aircraft, only had a tour around Leuchars, and like a lot of aspiring young aviators FJ is "the dream"
The chances are low, as someone has to take on the hassle of organising it. But someone at Valley has the job of doing just that, so I should give it a go. You might perhaps omit the bit about having a date for IOT and just say that you are planning to join.

In 2008 I had the chance to fly in the Hawk again, but they were just bringing in new rules about passenger flights (medical requirement and constraints on the flight envelope etc ...) so it all became too difficult to organise with my job. But I was on the first "Abo" Hawk course (in 1977) and I have since had a refresher (1997) so I know what it feels like. But you are the sort of person for whom flight experience like that should be organised.

So, give it a go ...

p.s. there were only 3 of us on that course in 1977 and one of us died in a Hawk display -- at Bratislava. Take from that what you will. McD