PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:56
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am somewhat concerned, that no where amonst the posts, do I find someone who aspires to be anything but a knuckle head. Whilst that may be a noble cause indeed, and you could be the best pilot ever, you are missing two factors that the Air Force will be looking for.

The first is leadership, coupled to management which is harder to gain when you are sitting there all by yourself. However to be part of a crew, which eventually you will lead as a Captain, multi engine experience will develope skills that you will rarely achieve quickly being a jet pilot.

Yes the C130, Orion and the KC30 perhaps on the face of it are a bit ho hum, but I can assure that some of the most exciting flying I have had is in our trusty C130.

I am sure that with all of you trying to show you want to have fast jets on the top of your list, means that you also have to prove your point with all the other applicants. I wonder if your application said I want to fly multi, I aspire to become a QFI, I want to rise through the ranks and become an above average Exo, flight commander, QFI or even the CO, how many would look at your application in a different light.

At 36 Squadron we had an ex RAF Hunter pilot, what a lovely aircraft that was, but he said coming to fly the C130 was a great step forward.

The Air Force unless it has changed, is not just looking for good pilots, it is also and will be looking at your application, to see if you aspire to be a leader of men. I know plenty of good pilots, and some of them we would follow anywhere.

Just a thought if it helps.

Best of luck, though again I suspect that planning and clearly demonstarting you know where you are heading, will beet the need for luck.

Col