PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viking Airlines
Thread: Viking Airlines
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010, 01:19
Todders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Donna, first of all I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. I am glad however that at least the first section of your post had a bit of positive info. As front line crew it's always nice to here at least that part is working.

As for the rest well, you seem an intelligent person so I'm not even going to bother with the, the ash cloud was an unprecedented event, as I'm sure you are well aware and well versed on the goings on during that period as presumably you like us were glued to the news to glean info. I cannot speak for the handling agent responsible at the airport you were at but again I apologize as these people are contracted in by viking and as such there should be a level of duty of care that they are treating you in the correct manner. With regard to the information, to give you a slight insight into the situation and to that end try and excuse the seaming lack of info at your end. We as crew during that period like crew of all other major airlines in the UK, Flybe, Thomas Cook, Thomson and even BA(i know because i have close friends in all) where without an idea as to when we would be able to operate should it be within the hour or as it seamed at one point not for weeks to come. This was not due to the airlines management or operations teams but more because of the lack of knowledge within NATS and EUROCONTROL. All airlines where conducting periodical phone conferences with both of the above to ascertain what airspace would be available and when. I myself was being called just about every three hours by my poor mother who was stuck in Malaga at the time (flying with Aerlingus) trying to get info from me as the same was happening with her. The fact of the matter is no one had any idea when we would be able to operate and so info was very thin and many airlines had people reporting for multiple flights which got canceled before the end of the troubles.

As for bringing passengers for both flights (15th&22nd) to the airport I can only imagine this caused more distaste again but I only surmise that the company had 1 some under-load ie. space on the plane 2 where using a larger plane or 3 just wasn't sure how many people would be left as some people may have found alternative ways home so although it may cause some annoyance i think you'll agree in the situation it would be better than flying home with spare seats.

I thankfully just have to fly the aircraft and therefore cannot comment on the customer services team and or there response to this period but i am sure they are run off their feet and hopefully working hard for you guys. I do hope that they deal with your issues in a helpful, productive and timely manner.

All this being said I do believe this episode has enabled many airlines to look at there procedures of communication and problem management and i know alot has been learned by the viking team.