PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it normal to feel better turning one way?
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:16
batninth
Oh Shazbat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone has a "chocolate" side whether they are flying, driving, skiing or riding a bike.

I'm right-handed, sit on the right hand side when flying and prefer left turns.
It would be interesting to look into the psychology of this. I too prefer to turn to the right, but I am right handed (BTW - I hold the stick with my left hand so the close to shoulder idea doesn't necessarily work) and had put this down to also having a fear of depth (there was a thread discussing it here some time ago), and thus in turning right in a side-by-side cockpit I had assumed that it was due to having the bulk of the cockpit between me & the ground, whereas turning left I look straight out of the window at the earth below which I can find to be a tad unerving. When I saw you lines above, Lady Whirls II, I thought "Aha, a helicopter pilot who sits on the right hand side, so you then get the cockpit between you & ground on left hand turns"....case proven.

But then re-reading your post, you're right about the bicycle. I feel much happier turning right when I'm riding a bike so my whole theory collapses.

Anyway, must get some time flying a tandem seat & see what happens...most likely I'd get scared looking down on either turn

Last edited by batninth; 2nd May 2010 at 17:18. Reason: Correcting typos