PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Stations (past and Present) - Biggest, Best and Bonnieist??
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:48
RedhillPhil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really in thrall reading this thread. I was never in the R.A.F. My Pa was. It would be interesting to see a child of the R.A.F.'s version of this. I was too young to remember much of Usworth and Ouston, Acklington was a bit hazy.
Leuchars was great, all those Hunters and Javelins. Then it was Malta. Back to to North Weald (no-one's mentioned North Weald) in 1962 just in time for the coldest winter in living memory, brrrrrr! Then it was Gaydon. I liked Gaydon 'cos I liked Victors - pity they got swapped for those other V-planes Varsities and Valettas. Off we went again to Sopley - married quarters in Bransgore, very pretty. Then off to Gibraltar, that was nice until the border was closed then it got a bit claustrophobic. Then I went off on my separate way leaving le famille to (eventually) return to live in Uxbridge (Pa was at West Drayton), then they went to Waddington, then Lyneham then finally Sutton Bridge (Pa was at and retired from Holbeach).
For me, Malta was definately tops, Leuchars was great because of the different types af aircraft that would appear.