PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building Ideas / ownership / routes? (Merged)
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:18
CraigyD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bournemouth Pilot,

Seems you to want to do something interesting with hour building! When were you thinking of organising something?

There are usually good articles in Pilot and Flyer each month than can give you great ideas and I wouldn't say having low hows means big trips are out of question. I read one article about a couple who flew an R22 or 44, can't remember, from Alaska down to the southern tip of Chile I believe it was and they had only around 100 hours or so each!

Im going to Seattle in September to get a single engine sea rating on my FAA PPL and get about 20 hours in a Piper Super Cub and going to get an hour in a DHC-2 Beaver !

Im then thinking of heading back to Cali next August to put a tail endorsement on my FAA PPL and rent a tail dragger for three weeks to get about 50 hours PIC time. There are some great places to fly to out there. Check out Amelia Reid Aviation, you can hire a Citbria for $80 an hour block and I think they only ask for $500 on account to get that rate, which isn't bad if you take it on an extended trip. If you'd be interested in this, they have a Cessna 170 tail dragger for $90 and I would happily share with someone like minded! Also, you won't need a visa to get a tail endorsement, just TSA approval if you haven't already got it which doesn't cost that much .

What ever you choose to do, please do it! Even though it will probably cost you a bit more than drilling holes in a cheap spam can, the experience will no doubt make you a better pilot and for most people it will probably be a once in a life time chance to take time out and fly what you want, where you want!

Happy flying,
Regards,

Craigyd