PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:11
clunckdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As stated in a previous post I went to a wake yesterday for one of our fellow pilots,very well attended, lots of good stories and company. This subject of course was a hot topic after a few nogins, the tack most of the conversation took was interesting to say the least, so rather than do my normal stunt of drinking/talking too much I decided to clam up, stay dry and listen and bring what I picked up back to this forum, I do so without comment on the various positions taken. (1) The overall consensus was that this is simply a cash grab by some, and a totally stupid legal exersize by the author of this case.{2} Many seemed to remember signing a contract to the effect that they would bail out at aged sixty, damned if I can remember that far back!{3}Most just cant get their heads around why doesnt the person involved understand that retirment at sixty opens so many door for a new life? (the pilot we were remembering certainly understood this, what a life he led!) (4) To try to seperate the safety arguments from the legal stuff is just" plain stupid"(quote) and this issue has no buisiness in the field of human rights, evryone who joined AC knew the contract from day one.(5) If the individual wants to keep flying, the insurance companies are begging for experienced drivers to fly corporate, survey ect(I am an example of this, turned down two more gigs last month, very happy and well rewarded where I am thanks) There were many derogetory remards made about the personality of the author of this action and that he was ,quote"a pain in the arse to work with" some sugested that the excursion of the end in the DC9 has affected him, (their words, not mine, just the messenger!) This will place AC in such a position with claims from the "tag alongs" that the very survival of the company will be in doubt. Lastley the feeling was it will in fact reduce the quality of life in retirment, and if the author wants to keep working stick to his law practice and that he would have been well advised to spend less time involved in law and more time reading the AOM when he flew the line. So thats it, not my words, just reporting back from the retiree bunch, I think I will try this listning and staying sober at the next function, gives one a whole new perspective!