PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone remember my Dad? 'Vulcan Bomber'
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:38
jesterfari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulcan B2 XM604 - 30/1/68

Hello. I'm new to this site today. Sitting here, perched on the edge of old RAF Docking in Norfolk, I was just thinking about the crash of the B2 Vulcan, at Cottesmore (I didn't know which aircraft it was) back in 1968, when I was a 14 year old in Leicester (Evington). Later, in 1972 as a junior serving police officer of the Leicestershire Constabulary, I was told a bit more by older guys who had been at the incident.
I was surprised, and saddened by the omission of this tragedy in the Wikepedia listing of accidents and incidents, allegedly relating to these aircraft. Perhaps, even though 'Wik' isn't necessarily everyone's favourite, it is commonly used by many as a starting point to research old memories, facts etc. Not everyone digs deeper, and I was gratified to find THIS site and thread, and see how much more inormation was here. It seemed particularly important to me that so many people were able to share real feelings and support with the family of one of these brave men.

Although I realise, of course, this thread has been going some time !! ...Perhaps someone could edit the Wikipedia article on the Vulcan type, and put the event of XM604 into another part of the public domain. These men will never be forgotten anyway, but at least this incident will be made known to others who may not read beyond that source of information.
Special thoughts to Sarah Bennett and family.