PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keyboard macro software
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:51
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyboard macro software

Hi,

For years I used to have an old Gateway keyboard which had programmable macros. Brilliant for answering business emails e.g. control-F1 would generate the standard "Please do not hesitate to contact us ....." all the way through the contact details on the bottom.

Eventually it failed and I have gone to the Logitech DiNovo which of course doesn't do any of this.

There is a ton of "keyboard macro" software out there.

I started with the free ones. The first half a dozen (not kidding) basically didn't work. Some would not pick up control-F-key combinations. One had weird bugs e.g. all generated strings had to begin with an uppercase letter!! I also have three machines with this keyboard; one running win2k and two running winXP, and one program stopped the XP machine from being shut down! One would not pick up any control or alt keys; only normal text strings would trigger it. One would drop characters; presumably it was generating the keyboard events too fast. This seems so stupid, as the requirement should be pretty obvious.

Then there is a pile of shareware around the £20-£40 mark, but I don't want to try half a dozen of those, with all the garbage which timed shareware leaves in the registry.

Can anyone recommend a program which "just works" to pick up control-F-key triggers and generates text strings which can be edited easily - either within the program or by editing a separate text file? And works under win2k and XP...

Many thanks in advance.