PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?
Old 1st May 2010, 13:00
adam02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?

Hey I will try and keep this short.

I am going to turn 21 years old in May and I have offers to study Mechanical Engineering at Queens Belfast University for 3 years, However i've recently been interested again in pursuing a career in commerical flying instead of an engineering position.

I've always been interested in flying since 9 and I have a small bit of RAF air cadet experience in a Grob G115 tutor when I was 15. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was completely put off from flying during GCSE's basically from the shear amounts of money it costs to train.

But i figure if I'm going to be doing something as a career it might as well be something I very much enjoy and will probably be willing to pay for it.

That being said, Ive searched and read and searched and read constantly for the last few days, I am aware of the current economic climate and there are very few if any positions for pilots and that recruitment won't be for a few more years.

So I decided that I will do this 3 year degree and also attend the gliding club in uni to beef up my flying then move into pilot training.

I haven't decided on Modular or Integrated, I could pull my hair out reading through all the threads on it but my main question is:

Should I do my PPL locally whilst at University. There is a local flying club that I could do my PPL at for around £6k which seems the norm.

Or Plan B:

Fork out loads of cash for "Integrated training purely because my friend says I would be more likely to get a job over a modular candidate"

*I don't buy this completely but I take what he's said on board*

Thanks. Any other feedback would be appreciated.