PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FA2 Pilot Training - age concern?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2002, 15:44
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Thundercat,

Buff and his chums, in their finite wisdom, decided that the SHAR force should be binned between 2004 and 2006.

Thus, as I understand it....

The two SHAR units will convert to the GR 7/GR 9, making a total of four front line GR 9 units (in the end). One of the RAF units Harrier units will go (and probably re-emerge as a Typhoon squadron?), giving two RAF and two RN squadrons. I believe that the intention is to have RN pilots serving with the RAF units and RAF pilots serving with the RN units (ah - almost like the 1930s....).

The GR 9 will be replaced by JSF under present plans - but the in service date of 2008 is for our American chums. JSF is meant to join up with UK plc in around 2012-2015 (I forget which...) to coincide with the CV(F)'s arrival. This, of course, assumes no slippage (not that that's ever happened to British projects before).

So, if you achieve your ambition, you'd probably end up flying GR 9s out of Cottesmore for about three-to-five-to-eight years (based on the dates you mention and the intended dates for JSF), before you'd move onto JSF.

More knowledgable souls than I can give the exact picture, but I think that's a reasonably accurate summary.

Good luck!