PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eventually !!Probe Blames Captain for GF Jet Crash
Old 19th Jul 2002, 15:29
Belgique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironbutt
Er, I think that's what I said. In fact I first said it about this accident two years ago... and if you go back to those old threads you will note that even a Chief Pilot piped up and said he'd never heard of it (the somatogravic illusion). In this respect it is an area (like hypoxia and altitude chamber training) where the old military hands have a distinct advantage in their background. Most Western Military pilots still undergo AVMED Refresher Lectures every few years .... including a very real hypoxia experience and disorientation training in a spin-chair or centrifuge.

The point that I was making is that until it happens to you, you tend to treat it as a bit of mythology (a bit like retreating blade stall, dynamic rollover and vortex ring for the rotary brethren). You cannot have a somatogravic illusion ("pitch-up") experience in a simulator and I'm quite sure that you won't have it in any airplane's conversion syllabus. It remains as one of those silent deadly gotchas. One cannot guarantee that you will remain clear of it; it's not like avoiding coffin corner. It's potentially there in any light-weight go-round. There are many pilots on this forum who will tell you that they have experienced it as an overpowering sensation. Many of them will have been high performance mil-jet operators, but some will not. It even happens very regularly to sailplane pilots on winch and auto-tow launches. Derek Piggott wrote a book about it about 20 years ago.... after a series of unexplained UK glider launch accidents in VMC.

But I reiterate that it is the most dangerous illusion because it normally affects both pilots at once (from a USN Study). That makes it deadly and derates much of what has been said about those latter failures of CRM in GF072.

Without that phenomenon the GF072 accident chain wouldn't have been complete.