PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 17:53
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and let's see if there is a spike in engine maintenance over the next 6 months. Time to look at GE, PW and RR stocks.
GarageYears

If there is a spike in engine maintenance then thats not our concern or business!

No one has questioned the fact that ash can damage engines. So can Birds, Hailstones, sand, ice.

As stated Ash has not killed anyone even in severe dense levels. That does not mean that at some time in the future it may happen but it has not yet.

I stand by my statement that this was not a scientific study of ash encounters so while the encounter MAY have been the one which caused the damage or was even Likely to have been the encounter which caused damage there is supposition and supposition is not scientific.

There is risk in anything and it is your choice whether you even step on an aircraft.

Do I personally think the authorities over reacted at huge expense to the aviation industry then my answer is a resounding yes and driven by the media.
There is nothing new there as we have had so many media driven scares in other fields of science which have cost a fortune and have ended up as nothing that it makes for scepticism especially as it effects our industry and our livelyhoods.

Pace