PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 14:38
XN593

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ejector SeatTraining

If memory serves me correctly,
11th November 1973. RAF Church Fenton halfway through the Chipmunk course prior to posting to Linton.
Potential Steely eyed Jet Jockeys gathered outside for ejection seat training (think fireman’s ladder with an MB Mk4 seat strapped to the front, a ratchet on the seat to stop the seat falling back down and a ground operated cable to lower the seat). First student wants to see what the view looks like flying up the ladder and goes for the pan handle. Head back, neck straight pulls handle. There is a slight pause and then nothing. A hush descends. Keep still Sir, don’t move a muscle, it might be a dud. Eventually the cartridge is removed and everyone relaxes. Second go, another pause and the seat leaps three foot up the rails. Wind up seat, disengage the ratchet and wind down. Wait for new box of cartridges and on the third go our hero bangs to the top. Winch the seat up and a call to the student to release the ratchet. There is no answer. Student seems to be frozen. More shouting. Eventually student responds, disengages the ratchet and is wound down. What happened we ask? He replied "I thought I had blacked out. I could hear you all shouting but everything had gone grey". It seems he hadn’t set the ‘G’ lever on his shiny new bone dome and the visor slammed down.
I thought it was funny until it was my turn.